This review is for a system consisting of the FilmGradeTM DC Power Supply, FilmGradeTM Flicker-Free LED Dimmer, and PhotonPanelTM 100W Grow Light Panel. I am using this setup for laboratory research inside temperature-controlled incubators. I searched through more than a hundred different setups before selecting these parts from Waveform, so I hope that this review might benefit other scientists looking for LED equipment that actually belongs in a lab.
This setup exceeds my expectations and requirements for:
1) Even illumination. The distribution of light (measured as PAR) beneath this panel is remarkably even, particularly compared to products with fewer diodes that tend to produce hotspots of illumination.
2) Heat production and dissipation. I was surprised to find that the panels do not generate much sensible heat and this is true on both sides of the panel. Similar to the even light distribution, the heat output seems nearly uniform across the panel.
3) Control of light intensity. This dimmer works exactly as expected. The control dial is not on a linear scale with output, but is easily calibrated using a light meter and then holds its setting.
4) Size. I am astounded by how thin this panel is, particularly compared to other products that use fewer, larger, diodes and require bulky heatsinks and fans. In the other dimension, the panel illuminates a larger area than other products (especially considering the evenness of the light intensity).
5) Overall ease of use and quality. The components work together as expected and the hardware is well made. From the packaging to the instructions and performance specifications, this equipment is exactly what I expect for laboratory research.